LACTATION CONSULTING & Infant feeding
Breast or Bottle – We Can Help
how we support babies and their parents
Our providers offer a variety of services for infants and their parents in an effort to support them however they choose to nourish their little ones — breast or bottle. Our lactation consultant can help parents prepare for successful feeding and troubleshoot challenges. She also teaches therapeutic breast massage, infant massage, the Therapeutic TummyTime™ method, manual/hand expression, and how to use infant feeding aids and breast pumps.
What to Expect During a Session
Therapeutic TummyTime™ Method is often an important part of treatment sessions with our lactation consultant. TummyTime™ method was developed by an occupational therapist and goes beyond simply laying an infant on their stomach. Some of the other benefits of TummyTime™ may include:
- Building strength in a variety of muscle groups of the head, neck, arms, shoulders, hips, legs, and core
- Getting infants out of physiological flexion (also known as the “fetal position”) and promoting good breathing and postural development
- Preventing flat spots on baby’s head
- Preparing infants for gross motor skills, such as crawling and rolling, thereby laying the groundwork for fine motor skills
- Improving tongue function and oral motor/feeding skills
- Enhancing side to side head movements, visual tracking, focus, balance, and head control, thus reducing head turning preferences and improving possibilities for different feeding positions
- Regulating the autonomic nervous system
- Activating hypoglossal and vagus nerves – both highly associated with tongue function
- Lessening acid reflux symptoms, gas, and constipation
For more information, visit https://www.tummytimemethod.com/for-parents.html
Our lactation consultant is also trained in infant massage and Biodynamic Body Balancing. There are many benefits to gentle massage for infants, including:
- Reducing stress and promoting relaxation
- Inducing sleep
- Enhancing parent/child interaction and bonding
- Decreasing crying, colic, gas, and gastrointestinal challenges
- Supporting the development of communication, motor, social, and other skills
- Stimulating musculature for lip closure, relaxation of lips, nasal breathing, and more
- Improving the nervous system, self-regulation, and body awareness
What makes our services unique?
👶 Professional Team Members with Expertise in Tongue and Lip Ties.
All of our providers have extensive training in screening for tethered oral tissues. Each new patient evaluation involves a screening for possible tongue, lip, and buccal ties. We also provide referrals to release providers as needed, insight on what to expect and prepare for, and continued care peri-operatively. This may include coaching and suggestions on exercises and other activities to facilitate normal oral function for the tongue, lips, and jaw.
Our practice involves a diverse team of providers with different skill sets who collaborate to meet our patients’ individual needs. In addition to a lactation consultant, we also have a massage therapist, speech/language pathologist, and occupational therapist in our practice.
- Our massage therapist can provide parents with a Swedish/relaxation massage, and infants may benefit from gentle modalities, such as CranioSacral Therapy.
- Our speech therapist can help with weaning from bottles and pacifiers, cup drinking, and introducing complementary foods.
- Our occupational therapist can help with sensory challenges, positioning, and transitioning to cups and solids.
Not sure which provider is best for your child’s needs? Contact us today at email@example.com for a complimentary phone screening.